Saturday, August 1, 2009

Flippies (as in my stomach) and Chippies

We returned about a week ago from our little summer getaway. We traveled over to Estes Park in Colorado for Dirck's sister's wedding. Wedding was beautiful (pictures to come soon), and scenery was phenomenal. It was simply beautiful there, but I came to a realization while we were there . . . .
I am a sea-level kind of gal! (as in a place with a sea preferably)

Don't get me wrong, the mountains are beautiful. I can certainly appreciate all the natural beauty and majesty of the mountains, but it didn't sit well with me that we were so HIGH in the mountains. The view . . . . was stunning, but the flippity-flop of my stomach, well . . . not so stunning. There's just something about looking over a cliff and knowing that if you tripped or took a wrong step, or the fencing gave way, or the sidewalk crumbled underneath you, or . . . well, er . . . I'm thinking that the ride down, although very quick, would be quite uncomfortable or even down right painful!

Despite my weak little stomach and shaky legs, we ventured out one day for a little chipmunk sightseeing tour. There were chipmunks everywhere! They were so tame, and very, very cute!

Here we are starting our tour.

Photobucket

You can't tell what we are in . . . so here's a better picture . . . .

Photobucket

Yep, the little red death box, er . . . I mean gondola. Really, it was fun, and a very nice peaceful ride to the top of the mountain. We even saw a deer on the mountain as we traveled up. My little guy still talks about the gondola. He loved it!

Once at the top, the views were amazing. Beautiful snow capped mountains and lots of pretty trees. It really was breath-taking - or that could have been the altitude as well. . . Here's my little guy teetering on the edge of the cliff . . . not really, but it looks that way, doesn't it?

Photobucket

And Dirck and our girl standing there so I can get a picture of the mountains.

Photobucket

And why is it when I want to take a picture of my family, it seems that no one is cooperative? Could it be that I stick a camera in their face almost 24-7? Surely not.

Photobucket

So now that we are on top of the mountain, we purchased some peanuts from the gift shop at the top (sure, there was a gift shop up there!). You wouldn't believe all the little fellas that followed us around in hopes of getting our peanuts.

Photobucket

My boy especially loved feeding them. And these chippies were so tame! They would take the peanuts right out of your hand, and then sit there and eat them (or at least stuff them in their cheeks).

Photobucket

Yes, they were such cute little creatures - and what a life, you know? They never have to forage for food, that's for sure.

Photobucket

My girl, she didn't really get that it's fun to feed chipmunks . . . she had a grand time just digging in the rocks and dirt.

Photobucket

And I guess this post wouldn't be complete without a picture of me and my babies. Dirck did it again - beautiful lush landscape, but blurry momma and babies. Oh well, this is still a keeper picture in my book!

Photobucket

We had a great time, and I'm looking forward to our next family adventure.

No comments: